Cerdeña House

Built in the 17th century, it was the seat of the San Bartolomé City Council until 1870. This is a of the few old and stately houses that are preserved in the municipality. Casa Sardeña was restored by Don Pedro Cerdeña Armas. It dates from the 17th century and is one of the most powerful houses of the time.

It was owned by the daughter of Don Ginés de Castro Estévez, Doña Rosalía de Castro, in the 18th century. At the end of the XIX the purchase and reform Don Pedro Cerdeña Armas. This rich merchant had a store and a kind of bank. Later the house was used as lodging for the infantry soldiers installed in the town and headquarters, until 1870, of the San Bartolomé City Council. Currently reformed and restored, it is currently a City Hall facility that houses offices and cultural activities.

Architecture

Originally the house did not have the current structure. After the reform carried out by Don Pedro Cerdeña Armas, it became an elegant mansion from the 19th century, with two fronts; the main one to the south, with a door and four windows, in addition to a high room called “sobrado”, with a modernist-style wrought-iron window and balcony; the other front, facing west, has a large door and a window.

Layout

It does not have large decorative elements that would flaunt the power of its inhabitants, but it did have a high number of dependencies distributed as follows:

The reform carried out by the San Bartolomé City Council has turned it into a of the old and stately homes of great value that are preserved in the municipality.

Where is it